DISD Advanced Academics PROGRAM GOALS
"A "gifted and talented student" means a child or youth who performs at or shows the potential for performing at a remarkably high level of accomplishment when compared to others of the same age, experience, or environment and who exhibits high performance capability in an intellectual, creative, or artistic area; possesses an unusual capacity for leadership; or excels in a specific academic field. (Texas Education Code 29. 121)"
1. The gifted students will gain expanded insights into their own academic ability and potential for success resulting in advanced products.
2. The gifted students will expand their problem–solving, decision-making techniques and creativity by utilizing higher level thinking skills.
3. The gifted students will become more independent and self–directed in their educational pursuits exemplified through more complex and intricate results.
4. The gifted students will be given opportunities to work with gifted and non-gifted peers, adults and society.
5. The gifted students will explore his/her strengths, weaknesses and potential to becomes well rounded and productive.