While at McCarroll Middle School, choir members learn a wide range of quality choral repertoire ranging from classical and jazz to spirituals and multicultural music, spanning from the Medieval to Contemporary periods.
MMS choral rehearsals are centered on the six standards listed in the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS):
- Perception – the student describes and analyzes musical sound and demonstrates musical artistry.
- Creative expression/performance – the student sings, individually and in groups, performing a varied repertoire of music.
- Creative expression/performance – the student reads and writes music notation.
- Creative expression/performance – the student creates and arranges music within specified guidelines.
- Historical/cultural heritage – the student relates music to history, to society, and culture.
- Response/evaluation – the student responds to and evaluates music and musical performance.