- Visit a college campus (2 college visits in senior year)
- Visit with colleges and military reps when they are set up during lunch
- Attend Weatherford College - College Night September 29th
- Check out these websites:
Job shadow, attend local job fairs
- Check out these websites:
- www.Texasoncourse.org (check out Roadtrip Nation)
- Texas Workforce Commission (check trends in the job market)
- O*Net Online
- Take the ASVAB career exploration test
- Fall Test - November 16th - sign up using the QR code on the next page
Plan to take an entrance exam:
- SAT (register at www.collegeboard.org ) CEEB School Code: 441870
- ACT (register at www.actstudent.org )
- TSI (test at Weatherford College or at your college of choice)
- Study for free through www.khanacademy.org/sat and www.academy.act.org
- Fee waivers for exams are available for qualifying students (free/reduced lunch) - Please see Mrs. Calderon in the 2nd floor office prior to completing registration for an exam
Apply to College:
- Don’t be afraid to apply to more than one school. Choose a guarantee and a dream school. *Be sure to check admission deadlines.
- www.applytexas.org (in state schools)
- www.commonapp.org (out of state schools)
- www.coalitionforcollegeaccess.org (in/out of state schools)
- Make sure to submit all required supporting documents. SAT and ACT scores must be sent to colleges from your official SAT or ACT online account.
- Fee waivers are available - check with the college admissions office/website for accepted waivers.
Write your college essay:
- Check with your college of choice to see if they require a specific topic.
- If applying through Apply Texas, check requirements to complete essay topic A, B, C, or D.
- If applying through Common App or Coalition, check for essay requirements.
Letters of recommendation:
- If a counselor recommendation is REQUIRED by a college or university, complete the Brag Sheet at https://forms.gle/Z7pgq7caSXYRZ6vV8
- Ask people that know you in and out of school.
- Teachers, coaches, community members, or employers
- Request a letter at least two weeks prior to your deadline.
Order a transcript:
- All official transcripts can be ordered by seeing Mrs. Downe in the 2nd floor office
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid opens October 1st - www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Every student MUST complete FAFSA (or TAFSA) or fill out an opt out form - this is a graduation requirement
- General scholarships are usually offered by colleges. Check college websites for requirements and deadlines.
- Check out the Counseling Website - Scholarship page (updates coming soon, but you can see examples of what was available last year!)
- Local scholarships should be available starting in January!
- Be on the lookout for information about FAFSA nights!
Important Dates to Remember:
- September 29th: Senior graduation meeting during Eagle Time
- September 29th: Weatherford College - College Night - list of colleges attending coming soon!
- October 1st: FAFSA Opens
- October 4th: Graduation orders during all lunches
- Mid-late January: updated rank/GPA will be available
- May 6th: Prom
- May 16th:* Senior Honors Night
- May 18th:* Senior Banquet @ DCC
- May 19th:* Senior Breakfast and Baccalaureate practice
- May 21st:* Baccalaureate
- May 24th: Graduation Practice and Graduation (8pm)
*Tentative dates - subject to change
Register to attend Weatherford College Night
Sign up to take the ASVAB